It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:17 pm

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 43 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 36

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:57 am 

So, time for an update. I busted my ass today and finished all the female soldier models, there are quite a few of them. Just the male versions remain. The Rebels will not be a playable faction and thus will have a lot less content than the gallian forces, but I still intend of giving them some classes and various looks. everything is going well so far. if I can't fix the black gun models I will have to create voxel versions of all weapons, not something I want to do as there are about 50 guns.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:20 am 

If it's black, check to make sure the faces on the model are facing the right way - I've had that happen to me more times than I'd like to admit after exporting and importing it. :P Got used to it though.

Also check the UV map and make sure it isn't screwed up in the export process.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:17 am 

Okay so, soldier. I got the guns to export properly to XML files, then I ran them through the converter to turn them to .MESH files. but the material file is still separate ... so the guns in RWR keep appearing un textured and black, is there something I am doing wrong here? I loaded the models in ogre meshy and they look fine, but in RWR they are untextured.

So nothing is working. I previewed the weapon in ogre meshy and this is what it looks like. but when i load it in RWR it's black. Does RWR not support textures? I don't know what I am doing wrong here.
https://i.gyazo.com/93212a070d369f03bf8 ... 8c35a0.png

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:06 am 

I think it might be an issue with the call in the *.weapon file. I’d love to know the proper way to call mesh-based weapons in these files, since I’ve never done that before. In the *.vehicle file you have to use a completely different code structure to tell the game what mesh and what texture to use. In the *.weapon file you simply call for the voxel model with this piece of code:
Code:
<model filename=”name.xml” />

I guess this doesn’t cut it though, since the textures aren’t loaded if I just replace the “name.xml” with “name.mesh”. Either it is like xr79 said and the *.mesh and *.material need to be fused into one somehow, or the call in the *.weapon file needs to be different to call the files the right way. I personally think it’s the later, but I’m not completely sure, since I’ve never tried this. Also, calling the a *.material file with the piece of code above will crash the game.

Problem is, I could try something like you see in the *.vehicle file here:
Code:
<visual class="name" mesh_filename="name.mesh" texture_filename="name.png" />

But I don't know what class to use or if there even is a class to call to begin with. If I'm using a wrong class, I surely just crash the game with that. So either I need to now the right class to call, define a new class somewhere, or the call for mesh and textures has to look completely different.

Any insight?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:44 pm 

How did you actually reference the 3D model in the weapon file? It should look like this:

Code:
    <model mesh_filename="<model_file>.mesh" texture_filename="<texture_file>.png" />

Just borrowed that from the deployable_mg.weapon file - I did tell you to borrow the model file stuff from there (or other similar weapon files) if you didn't do so before.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:54 pm 

I just played dump and tried it like the first code line I wrote, but I had a hunch, that there is a possibility it wouldn't work. I did that because I never did this before. I'm used to use voxel models, but since xr79 wanted to try it out, I just did the first thing I had in mind. Maybe it was an obvious mistake but... well live and learn I guess... Plus it was rather late and I passed out about an hour later due to fatigue of being awake for more than 42 hours. I hope you can cut me some slack for that one. ^^"
Never the less: Thanks for the answer. I will take your word into account and try it out as soon as I get back. I edit this post to share the results with you.

[Edit]:
As suspected, that call worked. Tank you. ^^ Now we only need to fix some files and it should work.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:55 am 

Thank you soldier, you fixed our problem, we also found out that RWR does not support transparent textures XD. SO I had to go through fifty weapon models and kinfe cut out all the transparent areas ...fun fun!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:42 am 

Hey soldier, I hope you get a chance to read this. I'm ready to start working on the vehicles. now I'm not sure the format they have to be in, how big they have to be, what direction they need to be facing. and also, do they need to be just one texture? or can they have multiple textures?

Any help you could give me would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:25 pm 

For the format, they need to be OGRE .mesh. How big they are is up to your discresion, but soldiers in RWR are about 2 meters tall, so take that into consideration when you resize it (usually there is a grid you can enable indicating a meter or so in most modeling programs). The direction is straight forward, I think that is easy enough. As the turret, hull, and wheels / tracks (and the weapon(s) model on the vehicle as well) are separate model files, you can have different texture files for each one. At least if I get what you're talking about - if you're talking about vehicles having various different skins for a single vehicle, that's not possible as far as I can tell.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:32 am 

So we have run into a bit of problem, We have about 50 weapons to add into the armory for the gallians, so I want to know what is the maximum we can add to the armory? and if we can change the GUI size of the weapons in the armory?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next