It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 7:45 pm

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 44 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 40

All times are UTC

Post subject: How Do You Make Mods?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:43 am 

Now I love the work people do to make RWR more exciting and challenging. But I wanna know how to make what they do. I wanna know what is required to make a mod. That is all and thank you.

EDIT: I have finally gotten a weapon to work. I figured it all out and I appreciate everyone helping. If I do ever need help I'll add more to this. But anyways A BIG THANKS to everyone out there who helped :D

EDIT: I'm back after alot of modding. I've been able to make a working mod up UNTIL now. I've got a problem I just can't fix :(
So I need some help. I'll paste the game log.

Tis all fixed, and is released on the steam workshop! :D

Last edited by RandomHeadphone on Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:35 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:02 am 

To make a mod, you pretty much just have to copy the vanilla game file structure. It's fairly easy to do, just make a new mod folder in the "overlays" folder and add some folders inside based on what you're going to add - one named "weapons" if you're going for weapons. The rest is just understanding what each file has inside and how to modify it without screwing up - that will come with experience.

I suggest you get a simple mod ans start from there - you can just copy over some vanilla weapons and start tinkering with it. Swap out the model, the HUD icon, rate of fire, etc. and add it to one of the faction's armories. Build up from there. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:14 am 

The Soldier wrote:
To make a mod, you pretty much just have to copy the vanilla game file structure. It's fairly easy to do, just make a new mod folder in the "overlays" folder and add some folders inside based on what you're going to add - one named "weapons" if you're going for weapons. The rest is just understanding what each file has inside and how to modify it without screwing up - that will come with experience.

I suggest you get a simple mod ans start from there - you can just copy over some vanilla weapons and start tinkering with it. Swap out the model, the HUD icon, rate of fire, etc. and add it to one of the faction's armories. Build up from there. :)

Thank you I really appreciate it. I'll try to make a mod for the community :D
I do have a question. I already have an overlays folder and do I just make a new folder and name it my mod?
Also how do I even create models or edit them? I apparently don't have any programs that can open model files.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:11 am 

Yea, just make a new folder in the overlays folder and name it whatever you like. You seem to have caught on to that much quicker than most. ;)

For small arms, you generally use a voxel editor. For vehicles or heavy weapons (like mounted MGs) you use a 3D model program like Blender. To edit voxel models, you need either Sproxel and then an exporter program, or you can use the official voxel editor (which also has the capability to make animations). I've got the official editor here, if you want that, since the link appears to be dead:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8pgyfduqj5zi1 ... r.zip?dl=0
(this happens to have a .bat file to open up the editor for animating purposes - it has one of my complete animations and one of my soldier models in there if you're curious, as I'm working on a WWII mod)

I suggest you give the readme a thorough reading before starting.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:03 am 

If you're interested at modding, you may also read these:
- Video on How to Install Mods Using the Overlay System
- Modding Tutorials

It seems that pasik has updated the link to the Voxel Editor: viewtopic.php?p=2243#p2243

I work quickly, cheaply and qualitatively. You can choose only two of the three options.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:11 am 

DIO wrote:
If you're interested at modding, you may also read these:
- Video on How to Install Mods Using the Overlay System
- Modding Tutorials

It seems that pasik has updated the link to the Voxel Editor: viewtopic.php?p=2243#p2243

Thanks! :D REALLY REALLY Helpful!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:22 pm 

RandomHeadphone

I'm by no means moderator or anyone special, and you can look into released mods anyways, but I can make a template mod with explanations. Most of the stuff are scrapped works for ArmA III weapons (less than 5% complete) but should be sufficient to give you info on making your own :)

Just tell me if you want it and gimme a day or two to compile it

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:21 am 

KetchupWarthog wrote:
RandomHeadphone

I'm by no means moderator or anyone special, and you can look into released mods anyways, but I can make a template mod with explanations. Most of the stuff are scrapped works for ArmA III weapons (less than 5% complete) but should be sufficient to give you info on making your own :)

Just tell me if you want it and gimme a day or two to compile it

I've been having a problem with putting guns into the factions to use them. I've been watching old tutorials so that would be much appreciated :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:59 pm 

RandomHeadphone wrote:
I've been having a problem with putting guns into the factions to use them. I've been watching old tutorials so that would be much appreciated :D

Arghhh unfortunately I forgot to check the forums, and I'm quite busy so I never completed the template. I did however finish describing the faction folder and abit of others; [I'll upload it tmr if I rmb to XD]

Feel free to ask me other stuff if you want, and apologies cus I didnt turn reply notification on

EDIT: 3 AM insomnia. Here you go:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/2o61c3ehyp19gwr/ArmA_III_%5BSCRAPPED%5D.rar

I tried my best to explain clearly, but well I'm not that perfect. Just ask if anything lol XD

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:12 am 

KetchupWarthog wrote:
RandomHeadphone wrote:

Arghhh unfortunately I forgot to check the forums, and I'm quite busy so I never completed the template. I did however finish describing the faction folder and abit of others; [I'll upload it tmr if I rmb to XD]

Feel free to ask me other stuff if you want, and apologies cus I didnt turn reply notification on

EDIT: 3 AM insomnia. Here you go:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/2o61c3ehyp19gwr/ArmA_III_%5BSCRAPPED%5D.rar

I tried my best to explain clearly, but well I'm not that perfect. Just ask if anything lol XD

I really appreciate everyone helping me. Thank you :D