It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 6:28 am

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 51 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 118

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:35 am 
Site Admin

Luck of Duck wrote:
pasik wrote:
FYI, as start_game command was randomly introduced here in this thread, I shall inform you about http://runningwithrifles.gamepedia.com/ ... _interface although I don't think it will be of much use for the mod in a long while. Any of those commands can be used by init_match.xml, or if dynamic handling is needed, by scripts.

(There's still no "proper" way of starting a script in quick match, but as script entry filenames already support overriding, one way could be to
1) copy all scripts from vanilla/scripts to overlays/zombees/scripts, using gamemode_tester.php as your gamemode script entry point
2) script some stuff up in gamemode_tester.php, change to a specific map with the overlay included, start the map with custom settings
3) load the mod already as command parameter when launching the game, so that lobby is already overlaid (parameter: overlay=media/overlays/zombees)
4) call /_test to start gamemode_tester.php, the one provided by the mod itself
5) enjoy playing a mod with scripted content!

-- haven't really tested this, but it would make sense that it works)

Had a brief look into those, did I understand correctly that by using scripts it could be possible to make a sort of mod-campaing? By using the start_game - - change_map - -restart_game - - stuff? Needs an event to it. And probly map marker too.

That's right. That's what gamemode_invasion.php / map_rotator_adventure.php are doing. If vanilla campaign is close to your idea of mod-campaign, then hmm.. wait a sec, even this might work:
1) copy scripts to media/overlays/zombees/scripts
2) edit scripts/trackers/stage.php get_change_map_command to include the overlay in the fabricated XML command, so that it's not lost when map changes
3) launch the game with overlay parameter, overlay=media/overlays/zombees
4) start the campaign in lobby -> media/overlays/zombees/scripts/gamemode_invasion.php is used as the entry point
5) "enjoy playing campaign with modded content"

This would actually work with savegames too, I hope. gamemode_tester.php has no chance with that. There are places in the vanilla campaign scripts which expect green.xml and certain item files to be around, so you would probably run into issues with those until you'd adapt the script to your content / your content to the script.

But, by all means, you can handle map rotation any way you can think of using the scripts and commands, doesn't have to be like it is in online invasion / campaign. Online invasion for example waits for match_result event and commits for a map change based on it. Adventure (local campaign) waits for a hitbox_event related to the local character entering a hitbox added at the extraction point markers.

Quote:
Possibly could change capacities around based on a area taken over too? that could be usefull

Yea, faction settings are changeable live, so is max_soldiers. Capacities change anyway based on amount of owned bases if soldier_capacity_model is not constant, but yes, you could set it constant, and have base specific changes on faction capacities by using capacity_offsets, for example, for total control.

Quote:
Wait... is it also possible to have a "loading screen" between mapchanges that would be up a set time, and would have a picture on the backround? Because if that is possible, it would make it possible to convey a story too - with pictures (writing or actual picture, or even both).
That would be way cool... And totally out of my range :D

That would not be possible. The game isn't listening to commands from the remote control while it is loading, they just end up buffered.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:47 am 

OK, now that I've figured out how to make weapons "ignore" ballistic vests, time to buff that Hunting Rifle. :) And add maybe a new weapon in the process. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:12 pm 

pasik wrote:
Luck of Duck wrote:
pasik wrote:
FYI, as start_game command was randomly introduced here in this thread, I shall inform you about http://runningwithrifles.gamepedia.com/ ... _interface although I don't think it will be of much use for the mod in a long while. Any of those commands can be used by init_match.xml, or if dynamic handling is needed, by scripts.

(There's still no "proper" way of starting a script in quick match, but as script entry filenames already support overriding, one way could be to
1) copy all scripts from vanilla/scripts to overlays/zombees/scripts, using gamemode_tester.php as your gamemode script entry point
2) script some stuff up in gamemode_tester.php, change to a specific map with the overlay included, start the map with custom settings
3) load the mod already as command parameter when launching the game, so that lobby is already overlaid (parameter: overlay=media/overlays/zombees)
4) call /_test to start gamemode_tester.php, the one provided by the mod itself
5) enjoy playing a mod with scripted content!

-- haven't really tested this, but it would make sense that it works)

Had a brief look into those, did I understand correctly that by using scripts it could be possible to make a sort of mod-campaing? By using the start_game - - change_map - -restart_game - - stuff? Needs an event to it. And probly map marker too.

That's right. That's what gamemode_invasion.php / map_rotator_adventure.php are doing. If vanilla campaign is close to your idea of mod-campaign, then hmm.. wait a sec, even this might work:
1) copy scripts to media/overlays/zombees/scripts
2) edit scripts/trackers/stage.php get_change_map_command to include the overlay in the fabricated XML command, so that it's not lost when map changes
3) launch the game with overlay parameter, overlay=media/overlays/zombees
4) start the campaign in lobby -> media/overlays/zombees/scripts/gamemode_invasion.php is used as the entry point
5) "enjoy playing campaign with modded content"

This would actually work with savegames too, I hope. gamemode_tester.php has no chance with that. There are places in the vanilla campaign scripts which expect green.xml and certain item files to be around, so you would probably run into issues with those until you'd adapt the script to your content / your content to the script.

But, by all means, you can handle map rotation any way you can think of using the scripts and commands, doesn't have to be like it is in online invasion / campaign. Online invasion for example waits for match_result event and commits for a map change based on it. Adventure (local campaign) waits for a hitbox_event related to the local character entering a hitbox added at the extraction point markers.

Quote:
Wait... is it also possible to have a "loading screen" between mapchanges that would be up a set time, and would have a picture on the backround? Because if that is possible, it would make it possible to convey a story too - with pictures (writing or actual picture, or even both).
That would be way cool... And totally out of my range :D

That would not be possible. The game isn't listening to commands from the remote control while it is loading, they just end up buffered.

OK, will could I then start sort of "slideshow" from event (like traversing map marker) and an event to end of the slideshow that would start the map_change script? (Or that is possible, just the question is there tools to handle that RWR allready in place / or if can whip something up...)

But even that I could make an modded campaing (I could even use commander blerps to convey story - at least if there is no other way that I can find - if ever find the file that handles that) makes me.... exited.. to a point where I would seriously think about turning the world upside down, and running across the Atlantic, punching trouhg great wall of china and all that jazz so I could ask SOMEBODY (ComJac) (Or anyone how knows how to do that) (ComJac) to make the map making tutorial [because srly WTF 17 layers of 2d pictures that will then make an 3d in-game map... I need a ton of coffee even to kind of pretend to understand that] - or attemt to make a map on my own..

I think I will need to fail a pucnh with the scripts after I get the improvments that I'm currently working with in to released state... I think those will make the mod enjoyable enough for some time, so I could throw hours to those scripting things. Also I did do some clean up on things I will not use in the mod, and on naming things. So It is easyer for other modders (The Soldier) to view.

And scripts could bring in all kinds of cool stuff in to the mod...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:46 pm 
Site Admin

Luck of Duck wrote:
OK, will could I then start sort of "slideshow" from event (like traversing map marker) and an event to end of the slideshow that would start the map_change script? (Or that is possible, just the question is there tools to handle that RWR allready in place / or if can whip something up...)

Depends on where you want to show the slideshow. Currently you can control some 2D visuals in the mapview, the worldview in campaign uses this stuff. I think you can basically put anything there you can think of, control each visuals position and visibility, but getting them positioned right might be a challenge as it has been made to work conveniently as that little image at the right top corner in map view.

Anyway, you can't, at least currently, just put custom 2D visuals on screen. You might be able to hack something funky up by spawning a vehicle (just invisible one, one that sits there as a positioning device), make it produce a particle effect, make that particle effect work so that it just displays one big quad aligned towards camera / some other way, introduce a material that has stuff set up for a shader program that plays back a 2D animation stored as an atlas of frames, bind that material to the particle system.. That would resemble something like a film projector and a canvas, maybe :P

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:53 pm 

Damit

14:45:27::character animation out of range
14:45:27:: animation=4105 animations=103
14:45:27:: execution halted

This happens with pistols. Tested, removed all 3 pistols, game worked fine until (ok it crashed too but not for same reason). When pistols are on, game crashes to this reason all the time.

This started happen only after I had these allready working, and then I made some chages to these, mostly to clipsizes, and kill_prob.

All pistols even used individually result to these crashes.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <weapon key="colt.weapon">
    <tag name="assault" />

<specification
   retrigger_time="0.32"
   accuracy_factor="0.45"
   sustained_fire_grow_step="1.1"
   sustained_fire_diminish_rate="1.8"
   magazine_size="7"
   can_shoot_standing="1"
   suppressed="0"
   name="Colt M1911"
   class="4"
   reload_one_at_a_time="0"
   sight_range_modifier="1.0"
   projectile_speed="80.0"
   projectiles_per_shot="1"
   burst_shots="1" />

<animation state_key="recoil"   animation_key="recoil, pistol" />
    <animation state_key="reload"   animation_key="reloading, m16a4" />
   <animation state_key="hold"   animation_key="still, pistol" />
   <animation state_key="hold_on_wall"   animation_key="still, pistol" />
   <animation state_key="still_against_wall"   animation_key="still, pistol" />
   <animation state_key="crouching"   animation_key="crouch, pistol" />
   <animation state_key="running"   animation_key="running, no weapon?" />
   <animation state_key="walking"   animation_key="walking" />

<sound key="fire" fileref="f2000_shot.wav" />
    <sound key="magazine_out" fileref="rifle_clip_out.wav" />
    <sound key="magazine_in" fileref="rifle_clip_in.wav" />
    <sound key="cycle" fileref="rifle_chamber.wav" />
    <model filename="pistol.xml" />

<hud_icon filename="pistol.png" />
    <commonness value="0.2" />
    <inventory encumbrance="3.0" price="1.0" />

<projectiles_per_shot value="1" />
    <weak_hand_hold offset="0.1" />
    <projectile file="bullet.projectile">
        <result class="hit"
      kill_probability="0.55"
      kill_decay_start_time="0.05"
      kill_decay_end_time="0.26" />
    </projectile>
    <modifier class="speed" value="+0.02" />

</weapon>

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:15 pm 
Site Admin

Luck of Duck wrote:
Damit

This happens with pistols. Tested, removed all 3 pistols, game worked fine until (ok it crashed too but not for same reason). When pistols are on, game crashes to this reason all the time.

This started happen only after I had these allready working, and then I made some chages to these, mostly to clipsizes, and kill_prob.

I doubt there are 4105 animations in the mod quite yet, the modded soldier_animations.xml might have become invalid XML. That, or some weapon is using indices to refer to animations and is using index 4105 which is likely invalid.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:32 pm 

pasik wrote:
Luck of Duck wrote:
Damit

I doubt there are 4105 animations in the mod quite yet, the modded soldier_animations.xml might have become invalid XML. That, or some weapon is using indices to refer to animations and is using index 4105 which is likely invalid.

Got it. I knew I would furk up the clean up process at some point. Your both quesses were bit of, because the modded soldier_animations.xml in use is just fine, but you using pistols and refer to pistol animation that is not defined in the animations file error such as this occur.

aka. If you mod the soldier_animations.xml with a new animation and remove it from the overlay (thus using the standard animations) this is what you get. I think The Soldier kind of allready ran into this with the pistol modding..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:39 pm 

Found a problem now that I finally had some time to test the overlay start thingy:

Unable to launch_game from terminal! I thought it might have something to do with the overlay start parametre that i set (as adviced) but game does it still, even though i tried just the plain launch_game script.

Terminal just displays the classic "Seg fault (core dumped)" checked log tail for opvious hints, but did not find such. Log attached tho..

Attachments:
rwr_game_overlay_start.log.zip [5.06 KiB]
Downloaded 571 times

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:00 pm 

Oh man, you used my GIF! xD

Where did I post that one again? Here or on Reddit?

Can't believe it took me over a month to find this post. Been awfully busy with non-RwR matters over the past few weeks...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:25 pm 

Hmmm, I can't get it to work. I've placed it in the Overlays folder (alongside 2 other mods that have been working just fine), I've selected the mod in the custom match setup (it says "setup mods (1)", as it should) but nothing seems to have been changed...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next