It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 4:38 pm

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 46 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 112

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:33 pm 

Due to this thread I noticed that RWR does not have a color blind compatibility right now, and so I have decided to Rectivy that situation.

Here is my progress thus far:

Keeping this in spoilers just to make the thread short and sweet. Will add DL link once Winter uniforms are added, and things are good enough that the people in the thread linked above are satisfied with the color changes.

Changes in uniforms:
Green - No change.
Brown - Honey-Mustard yellow
Grey - Blue

A new edits, essentially ready for release.
Spoiler:

Currently needing to add in colors for the Winter uniforms, but besides that it is ready for release, V1 DL link at bottom of the post.

Feel free to give feedback on the faction colors to make them stand out more from one another.

Install Instructions: Put the folder in yourr Running With Rifles/media/overlays/ folder (You may need to create the Overlays folder) after extracting it from the .rar.
This will only make the mod work in singleplayer quick matches. If you want to install it to work everywhere, including on other people's servers, read below: WARNING INVOLVES OVERWRITING GAME FILES.
Spoiler:
Extract the .rar, and cut and paste the factions and models folders into your Running with Rifles/media/packages/vanilla directory, overwriting all files (If it does not ask to overwrite files, it is not installed properly).

More detailed install instructions are contained within the archive.

Attachments:
File comment: Updated for .99, added internal Read Me file. No additional changes beyond this (still no winter soldiers)
Colorblind mod RG v3.rar [125.38 KiB]
Downloaded 3070 times

Last edited by bwc153 on Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:55 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Colorblind Mod (WIP)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:42 pm 

Green and Brown are just painful to tell apart. A very light tan in place of Brown would be fine IMO, as Grey and Green are pretty nicely set apart.

And this is coming from a red-green colorblind person, so it's accurate. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:29 pm 

Would having differently patterned uniforms be a good idea for this?
Like one faction would have single color uniforms, another could have different colored jackets and pants, a third could have... stripes? :P
It would perhaps look strange, but at least it would be very easy to tell them apart which is kinda the point here.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:55 pm 

The Soldier wrote:
Green and Brown are just painful to tell apart. A very light tan in place of Brown would be fine IMO, as Grey and Green are pretty nicely set apart.

And this is coming from a red-green colorblind person, so it's accurate. ;)

Already covered, as mentioned in IRC earlier, thanks for the help.

Updating OP in a couple moments.

DoomMetal wrote:
Would having differently patterned uniforms be a good idea for this?
Like one faction would have single color uniforms, another could have different colored jackets and pants, a third could have... stripes? :P
It would perhaps look strange, but at least it would be very easy to tell them apart which is kinda the point here.

As it is I was going for some large variance in shade. I wanted one faction to Glow, one to perhaps seem darker, and one be a more moderate shade. I still can mess around with some things, but right now Blue (Grey) is darkest, Green is Moderate, and Tan is now Honey-Mustard yellow.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:58 pm 

Note, this mod will be "expanded"*, as necessary, to accomodate various forms of colorblindness.

*"Expanded" meaning having multiple color variations. If the current colors don't work well enough as you'd like, suggest a color set that you think would work and I'll recolor the faction(s) in question to said color.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:35 pm 

This is great! I'm not personally color blind but I have a friend who is.

I'm sure it'll mean a lot to know we can play together with out him confusing who's who.

If you need any help finding good faction color schemes I definitely recommend checking out this program called Color Oracle. It sits in the notification area on your taskbar and lets you simulate Deuteranopia, Protanopia, & Tritanopia over whatever's currently on your screen.

ColorSchemeDesigner.com is pretty good for selecting color palettes as well and has a color blindness simulator that covers pretty much every form of color blindness out there.

I kind of wonder if it might be more effective in the long run to do color correction as a post processing effect so there wouldn't need to be changes made to each individual texture and model, but that's likely something the devs would have to do (unless that can be done through modding?).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:25 pm 

JackMayol just linked me http://colorschemedesigner.com/ as well. I think I'll use that to fine-tune stuff on demand, but use the simulator as a way to do the baseline. Thanks for the link Kaz!

EDIT: Is there a way to make that simulator not turn off when one clicks?

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:42 am 

Updated to work with .95

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:32 am 

Went ahead and updated this for use with RWR 0.98:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/mu3wo ... or_098.zip

Special thanks to Baby Stomper for testing this effort-defying copy and paste of a few different numbers to the new faction xml files. Our thoughts and prayers go out to him and others that suffer from this terrible, terrible disease which afflicts ALL of us in one way or another. QED.

~ * ~ * G R E Y * ~ * ~ * P R I D E * ~ * ~

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:07 am 
Site Admin

harrified wrote:
Special thanks to Baby Stomper for testing this effort-defying copy and paste of a few different numbers to the new faction xml files. Our thoughts and prayers go out to him and others that suffer from this terrible, terrible disease which afflicts ALL of us in one way or another. QED.

Merge tools are handy for such things.