It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:07 pm

RUNNING WITH RIFLES Multiplayer

test

Game servers 40 List provided by EpocDotFr | Players online 48

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: [Mod][2.0] Overlord
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:55 pm 

Each nation in Overlord has it's own special set of soldiers and weapons. The US Army has adopted a fast and maneuverable style of warfare after their heavy advances into the west of France. The Wehrmacht has dug in with heavy weapons after a string of defeats on both sides of their borders, and can put down a whithering hail of accurate fire. The British Army has choosen a medium between the two after their slow yet steady advnaces towards Caen.

The US Army deploys their Officers to the battlefield, supporting infantry advnaces with supporting fire and artillery, and their Rangers lead the way with special weapons only available to them, and are a force to reckon with. Paratroopers from the 82nd and 101st are available to drop into combat zones. The Wehrmacht deploys it's Großdeutschland Panzergrenadier in high numbers to lead assaults with the special machineguns and explosive weapons they have access to. Despite their lack of air superiority, the Luftwaffe are still able to paradrop Fallschirmjager into the area to support operations. The British Army deploys officers to call in all the fire support they have access to, and Royal Marines are dispersed between infantry units to aid in the assault. Commandos are available for infiltration and stealth operations.

The mod also offers a variety of vehicles for each faction. The US Army rolls into battle with very mobile machinegun-toting Willys Jeep, M8 Greyhounds, and M4A1 Sherman Tanks. The Wehrmacht holds the line with Kubelwagens with a mounted MG42, SdKfz 222 armored cars, and up-armored Panzer IV medium tanks. The British Army rolls onto the field with Universal Carriers bristling with machineguns, the Daimler armored car, and the nimble Cromwell cruiser tank.

US Army:

Since their rapid advances across the west of France, the US Army totes rapid-fire and assault oriented weaponry. All their weapons are light and quick to aim, but they lack lare ammunition capacity and sustained fire. Their special calls allow for an extremely heavy air presence, with bombers and transport planes constantly flying overhead.
Code:
Arsenal:
M1A1 Thompson
M1 Carbine
M1 Garand
B.A.R
M1919A6 LMG
M1903A4
M7 Anti-Tank Launcher

Mk.II Grenade
Sticky Bomb
M2 Mortar Deploy
M1A1 Bazooka
M7 Grenade Launcher
Colt M1911

Wehrmacht:

The Wehrmacht, after being beaten back on both fronts, have adopted a much more defensive doctrine. Many of their weapons are heavy and slow to carry around, but have quick reloads and large magazines capable of suppressing even the largest assault. Though they may have been beaten back, the Wehrmacht's artillery and the Luftwaffe's fighters are still capable of putting up a fight and suppressing enemy artillery and planes.
Code:
Arsenal:
MP-40
StG-44
Gewher 43
Kar98k
MG-42
Kar98k ZF42
Gewehrgranatgerat
Panzerschreck 54
Flammenwerfer 35

Model 24 Grenade
HMG42 Deploy
Panzerfaust 60
Walther P-38

British Army:

The British Army takes things a bit slower than their US allies. They learned the hard way at Caen that a rapid advance into a heavily fortified area is not feasible, yet they have not lost all their offensive firepower just yet. Their weapons are in the middle ground between quick and slow. However, as a result of their First World War experience, they bring heavy artillery to bear at the direct command level, allowing for heavy fire support for their troops.
Code:
Arsenal:
Sten Mk.IV
M1A1 Thompson
Lee Enfield No4 MkI
Bren
Lewis Gun
Lee Enfield No4 MkI (T)
Boys Anti-Tank Rifle

Mills Bomb
No74 Sticky Bomb
PIAT
No4 Cup Grenade Launcher
Webley Mk.VI
Welrod

V2.0
DOWNLOAD:
(incomplete)

Screenshots:
Spoiler:

Last edited by The Soldier on Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:24 am, edited 54 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:16 am 

I really like the weapon models so far. The only nitpicky thing I can say is that the Thompson model needs to be moved forward a little. Faction specific grenades and vehicles would be awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:25 pm 

Thanks. :) And yea, there are a few weapons that I haven't had the chance to fix the position yet. Thought I got the Thompson, though - nonetheless I'll fix it.

And there's a nice giant update coming down the tube. :)

Anyone actually know if it's possible to give faction-specific grenades? I'm finding it somewhat hard to make one grenade appear only in the Grey's Armory (and thus their soldiers) and the same with the Green.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:55 pm 
Site Admin

The Soldier wrote:
Anyone actually know if it's possible to give faction-specific grenades? I'm finding it somewhat hard to make one grenade appear only in the Grey's Armory (and thus their soldiers) and the same with the Green.

How are you handling it? Do you have clear_grenades="1" somewhere?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:16 am 

To be honest, I've just been fiddling around with the armory. No clue in the world how to do that. :P I'd appreciate some help, though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:21 pm 
Site Admin

The Soldier wrote:
To be honest, I've just been fiddling around with the armory. No clue in the world how to do that. :P I'd appreciate some help, though.

I didn't take a look at how you've set up the mod, but basically you'd control the faction specific resources in each faction file you've, e.g. green.xml, grey.xml, brown.xml in vanilla.

In the file, you can find a section like:
Code:
   <resources clear_weapons="1">
      <weapon key='medikit.weapon' />
      <weapon key='riot_shield.weapon' />
      <weapon key='m72_law.weapon' />
      <weapon key='cover_resource.weapon' />

<weapon key='p90.weapon' />
      <weapon key='benelli_m4.weapon' />
      <weapon key='f2000.weapon' />
      <weapon key='aks74u.weapon' />   
      <weapon key='pepperdust.weapon' />
      <weapon key='vss_vintorez.weapon' />
      <weapon key='ns2000.weapon' />

<weapon key='g36.weapon' />
      <weapon key='m16a4.weapon' />
      <weapon key='m240.weapon' />
      <weapon key='mossberg.weapon' />
      <weapon key='m24_a2.weapon' />
      <weapon key='mp5sd.weapon' />
   </resources>

Without such section, all weapons, carry_items, grenades, calls and vehicles will be made available for the faction. Adding the section and adding clear_weapons, clear_carry_items, clear_grenades, and so on with value 1 will clear the resource category in question initially, allowing you to then add them, as shown above. The key refers to the key you've got set up in the actual weapon (or other resource) file as the key - I tend to match it with the filename, but just know that it's not the filename you're referring to here.

Note that this will only work with quick matches or classic mode online servers. Invasion/campaign has been prepared to support resource configs for each map separately -- well, if you've got the mod set up as an overlay mod, you probably wouldn't be interested in the campaign+the mod outcome just yet as it's not straightforward to make campaign use mods in the menu yet (it is straightforward anyhow if you really want to do it :P).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:50 pm 

Thanks, I'll see if it works. :) I'll use my newfound knowledge hopefully for some other stuff as well. And I'm actually aiming to make a new campaign, although that's more of a longshot than anything else.

EDIT:
OK, I managed to get as far as adding clear_grenades="1" without the game crashing on selecting the mod. Now it crashes on starting up a map. I'll see what I can do.

And it's fixed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:19 pm 

And updated. :) More of the goodies I'm still working on, like faction skins and the grenades above.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:15 pm 

Gave it a bit of a test run. I feel the kill chance of weapons is a bit high, and the base accuracy of weapons a bit low. Just my taste, but I don't feel the RWR base sound files fit WWII guns well enough as well.

Also on a side note - there's a hidden value of which you may find useful for weapons.
Code:
spread_range="0.2"

The default value is .2, higher spread range results in a max spread increase (useful to make MGs not nerfed (poor kill chance/base accuracy) and also not OP by being able to simply hold down the trigger and kill everything. I typically keep .3 on my mods weapons, and .4 to .5 for an MG, but that's just me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:08 pm 

The kill chance for the Kar98k is just through the roof right now - can't seem to do much with it. I nerf it too much in my dev version, it's just totally outperformed by the M1 Garand, nerf it too little and the AI can just crouch and shoot everyone in half a second.

Same goes for the MGs. Thanks for that bit of code, I'll see what I can do. ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next